Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pasta Subs.... YUM!!!

There is this restaurant in San Diego, California that my in laws introduced me to, Devine Pastabilities. Their signature dish is 'Torpasta,' which I believe is best described as a pasta sub! I have only been there once, but it was delicious! (if you are ever in San Diego, I highly recommend the place!) But since San Diego is so far away from me... (6 hours is just to far to drive for lunch!) I decided to try to replicate the dish in my own kitchen! And here is how you can do the same! Enjoy :)


Pasta Subs
I used bolillo rolls to make mine. How many you will need depends on how many your are feeding! I found these to be quite filling (and me and my husband eat quite a bit... we averaged 1-2 per person, unless you include my toddler who LOVES these and she ate like 2 as well! I was stunned!)  Cut off one edge of the bolillo roll (to make the edge not as rounded, easier to hollow out, only cut about 1 inch) Then I just used my fingers to pinch out the insides (Sorry I don't have a photo, but mine hollowed out super easily, just do it delicately so you don't break them- I found it easier to stuff later if I 'smoosh' the reaming bread around the opening to make the opening just a bit wider)

Cook your pasta according to package directions (any kind you like! I chose tortellini, but I have done spaghetti in the past.) Put it in a large bowl.
                                                         Heat up/ cook your pasta sauce...

 Toss your pasta and sauce in the bowl (add a LITTLE more sauce then normal- a little may  'dry out' in the oven)

Using a spoon (I used a large kitchen spoon) Spoon your pasta into your pre-hollowed out rolls



Place your subs on a cookie sheet (ungreased)

Bake at 350 degrees until the bread is just beginning to turn light brown and 'crunch' a bit (6 minutes worked PERFECT for me!) Enjoy! (let me know if you ever make it down to Devine Pastabilities!)


No comments:

Post a Comment