Saturday, August 11, 2012

Simple Bow Holder (chicken wire edition)

In searching for what kind of bow holder I wanted to make my daughter (She's already had two previous ones, both different kind of ribbon styles) I decided I did not like the ribbon ones, they just weren't 'tough' enough for everyday use (ribbons twisting, breaking, wearing out) So I knew I needed something that would be durable, functional, and of course, cute! That's when I decided to go with something that involved chicken wire. I already had a frame, and I was going for quick and simple, but cute. So I went to Home Depot and picked up some chicken wire (mine is the 1" width, feel free to go smaller, just make sure its big enough for the clip to go through.)


This whole project cost me $10, (chicken wire) because I already had some spray paint, a frame, and ribbon to hang it from. Check out your local thrift store (I like
Goodwill) for some cute frames! Remember, you only need the actual 'frame', backing/ glass, etc is not necessary.  You can get really cheap ribbon at almost any craft store (Hobby Lobby often has their ribbon for 50% off, and I really like their selection), and I found spray paint is the cheapest at your local hardware store. The chicken wire cost $10... but I have a bunch left over... I will have to find another use for it! ;)


Want to make your own?? Here's how: (I also can make them to order if you want one, but don't want to make one yourself!)

1. Paint (I use spray paint) your frame the color of your choice. It obviously depends on your frame, but  you could also stencil a design on it, distress/ glaze the frame, or even decoupage some fabric on it! I just went with a plain color since my frame itself was pretty simple (Remember: I already had the frame.)

2. Place your frame upside down, line up the chicken wire in one corner of your frame (making the top of the chicken wire even on the top, and on one side, this way you only have to cut two edges of the chicken wire, rather than all four). Start in your 'lined up corner' and using a staple gun, begin to staple the chicken wire in place.
Continue around the rest of the frame, making sure you stretch the chicken wire tight, so it isn't sagging in the middle of the frame. This part can be trickier than it sounds, just keep pulling and stapling it and eventually you'll get it!

3. After you have stapled all the way around your frame (I used lots and lots of staples!) Cute all the excess chicken wire using wire cutters. Then, just to be sure, add a few more staples... :)

4. You could just hang the frame itself from the wall using some nails, but I wanted to hang mine from a ribbon. Measure the middle of the top of the frame (your center point), and measure your ribbon (I just turned it right side up and eye-balled it and cut the ribbon to a length I thought looked good) staple the ends of  your ribbon (several times) equal distances from your 'center point'.

5. Flip it over, hang it up, and add all your little girls bows/ flowers! I left it at this, there are raw edges to the chicken wire, but I didn't think it would be a big deal since it would just be hanging on the wall all the time. If you prefer to cover them up (I will eventually do this too... lol) I would cut strips of felt and hot glue it along all the 'open' edges of the chicken wire. make sure you cut the felt thick enough to cover the raw edges, but not too thick so its still hidden behind the frame) You could also add a big bow/ flower in a corner of your frame, or little bows where your ribbon meets the frame. Be creative! :)

I have since painted my little girls headband holder gray (when we moved she got a bedroom makeover- more big kid girly, not as baby), I just took all her bows off and spray painted the whole thing gray (chicken wire too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment